I've been posting progress to this on Twitter and Polycount so I thought I'd do a quick overview of my progress here!
The amazing concept is by Alexis Pflaum and can be found here.
The blockout process:
I used a mixture of Zbrush and Maya to achieve my shapes. My intent from the beginning was to paint without bakes so I tried to keep details on the model to a minimum in Zbrush.
Although I tried to do topology as I went, there were still parts that needed cleaning up.
The Value Blockout:
Although I was not baking any sculpt details, I still did bake an AO and Curvature in 3d-Coat and a Light Direction map in Marmoset to get the shadows.
To add colour I utilized gradients and layer masks in Photoshop to isolate areas and apply different colours.